Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog Assignment 10


Barbie Dolls, 2008, 60x80", Chris Jordan


First, I will discuss this piece as conceptual art. This piece is part of a series entitled "Running the Numbers" and the concept of the series is to show visually the mass numbers of events that take place around the world. This piece in particular contains 32,000 barbies which is equal to the number of breast augmentations preformed in the US each month in 2006. The fact that the viewer has to get super close to the image to really see what is used to create the image I think helps the concept. It helps the viewer to actually visualize the huge number that is being presented. This photograph functions in contemporary culture by showing us how the US is completely obsessed with outer appearance and what is thought to be needed to be considered beautiful. 

Second, I will look at this photography as documentary art. This photograph is meant to expose the artificiality of American culture and our obsession with outer appearance. I think it draws attention to a side of our culture that many people don't necessarily pay attention to even though it surrounds us all the time. This photograph could function in contemporary culture as a way to raise awareness about the needless procedures that Americans, specifically American women, put themselves through to try and achieve "ideal beauty." 

Third, I will look at this photograph as identity art. This photograph is the identity of American women. Similar to above it shows how many American woman go through needless procedures to achieve "ideal beauty" in our culture's eyes. Even though this photograph is only showing breast augmentations it can also be seen as the identity of American women and their struggle to overcome the false realities about beauty presented to us by mass media and our culture. 



Adam's Birthday

I chose this photograph because it was my boyfriends birthday the other day. I like this picture because I made him re-light the candles and blow them out again because I didn't get a picture the first time.



Plastic Utensil Tree

I chose this photograph because it was a group project that we did in my Art Methods class before break. I like this picture because my group and I created it using only plastic forks, knifes, and spoons.



Mom, Me, and Dad

I chose this photograph because it was taken at my parents house when we had my birthday dinner. Every year my mom makes me homemade lasagna for my birthday. It's my favorite!






No comments:

Post a Comment